From: Jared Jacobson <JaredJ@××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop]
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 04:40:12
-----Original Message-----
From: Francisco Figueiredo Jr. [mailto:fxjrlists@×××××××××.br]
Sent: 25 January 2008 08:23 PM
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Unable to clone display on Asus laptop with

Michael Mestre wrote:
| Intel855GM laptop. Also, it will not  let me have my way with the
| "clone" option.
| ---
| Hi,

Hi, Michael!

I wouls suggest you to remove all dual head configuration from your
xorg.conf file, letting only the lcd configuration as usual and use
xrandr to control the resolution of your VGA output and lcd.

I'm saying that because this is exactly the setup I use here and it
works perfectly! I also have an 855GM based laptop and after being
introduced to xrandr, I think I would never touch my xorg.conf again for
dual head configuration.

When you clean up your xorg.conf file, when you start x, your VGA output
will be automatically mirrored. The resolution will be different but X
will try to get a resolution on both monitors to accomodate both panels
(LCD and VGA).

After booting, you will be able to change your resolution with the
following simple command:

xrandr --output VGA --mode 800x600

You may execute xrandr to see what are the available resolutions and
also the syntax for using dua head.

For example, this is what I use to setup my dual head:

~ xrandr --output VGA --mode 640x480 --left-of LVDS --outputLVDS --mode
1400x1050 --rate 60

Also note that you may need to configure in your xorg.conf (I don't know
how to change it dynamically) your virtual screen size. You have to put
the following in your xorg.conf:

~ SubSection "Display"
~                Depth   16
~                Modes "1360x768" "1400x1050" "1024x768" "800x600"
~                #Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
~                #Virtual   1360 768
~                Virtual    2048 2048
~        EndSubSection

I hope it helps.

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Npgsql Lead Developer
Mono Project Contributor
MonoBrasil Project Founder Member

- --
~ - Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
~ - That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.
~ 		-- Lewis Carroll "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"
Version: GnuPG v2.0.7 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -