From: Benjamin Fritzsche <BFritzsche@×××.de>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] hibernate on inspiron 8600
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 12:45:26
1 On Monday 04 July 2005 14:35, Ward Poelmans wrote:
2 > Benjamin Fritzsche wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 30 June 2005 20:18, Ward Poelmans wrote:
4 > >>Benjamin Fritzsche wrote:
5 > >>>On Wednesday 29 June 2005 21:33, Ward Poelmans wrote:
6 > >>>>Hi all,
7 > >>>>
8 > >>>>I've got my laptop for some time now ( a Dell Inspiron 8600 )
9 > >>>>and i want to try hibernation support. I've already discovered
10 > >>>>the hibernation-script and swsusp2. I've have a vanilla kernel
11 > >>>>that works with swsusp2 but that's only S5 and i would like to
12 > >>>>get S3 en S4 also to work. What do i need to use for that ?
13 > >>>>Have you got any experience, advice, hints how to get this to
14 > >>>>work ?
15 > >>>>
16 > >>>>Thanks
17 > >>>> Ward
18 > >>>
19 > >>>Hi !
20 > >>>
21 > >>>I´ve got the same machine. S3 and S4 work here. forget swsusp2. it only
22 > >>>makes things complicated. use the swsusp which is already in the
23 > >>> standard kernel.
24 > >>>
25 > >>>On my machine both S3 and S4 work pretty much out of the box. Only
26 > >>>configuration is editing the config files hibernate.conf and ram.conf
27 > >>>in /etc/hibernate.
28 > >>>
29 > >>>Only thing I had to change there is the vbetool option (vbetool on) to
30 > >>>get my Video card (ATI 9600) reactivated after suspending. You might
31 > >>> have to try different settings in that section. And figure out if there
32 > >>> are any modules which need to be unloaded/reloaded. In my case its
33 > >>>ndiswrapper and the USB Stuff.
34 > >>>And of course don´t forget to emerge vbetool.
35 > >>
36 > >>Well, i did what you told me and compiled swsusp in the kernel and
37 > >>made an usbcore module. S5 works just fine but
38 > >>with S3 it goes down as it should but it doesn't come
39 > >>back up. The screen stays black but i hear my hard disk
40 > >>come up again. I tried with EnableVbetool and VbetoolPost
41 > >>enable but it didn't help.
42 > >>Did you changed anytime in ram.conf ?
43 > >>
44 > >>
45 > >>Greetz,
46 > >>
47 > >>Ward
48 > >
49 > > Only Thing I did is Enable vbetool. And Switch to text mode.
50 > >
51 > > And I don´t Use a framebuffer on the console. only plain text mode. Maybe
52 > > Radeonfb is confusing your videocard? have you got an ATI card? Do you
53 > > use Firewire? I don´t but I´ve heard it can cause problems, so unload
54 > > those modules aswell if they are loaded.
55 > >
56 > > By the way: Im using vanilla-kernel-2.6.12.1, but it works here since
57 > > 2.6.10 if I remember correctly.
58 > >
59 > > Also test If its only the video card that doesn´t work by blindly going
60 > > to VT1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and blindly logging in as root and issueing halt. If
61 > > the system goes down you can be pretty sure its only the Videocard.
62 >
63 > I'm now quite sure it isn't my ATI card. When my laptop comes back up it
64 > hangs and nothing working (no blind root login or numlock LED).
65 > Question is: what else can it be.
66 > I've already tried it with almost all my daemons off and the result
67 > was the same. I'm going to try an vanilla kernel with no framebuffer.
68 > Hope it work then.
69 >
70 > Thanks for your help and time sofar.
71 >
72 > Ward
73
74 Also maybe get the latest BIOS from Dell (A13 I think). Aswell as the Latest
75 VideoBIOS.
76
77 If that doesn´t I think my advice will come to an end. running out of ideas
78 here ;-)
79
80 Benny
83 gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list