From: Sad Jack <sadjack45@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Install problems
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:21:41
1 Sad Jack wrote:
2 > Josh Hunholz wrote:
3 >
4 >>If you have FC3 up and running, why not just install Gentoo from that?
5 >>Make a new partition and copy the Gentoo tarball into it. Then chroot into
6 >>in and install! It's quite easy to do it that way. :)
7 >>
8 >>--Josh Hunhol
12 >>>Sad Jack wrote:
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >>>>Cliff Rowley wrote:
16 >>>>
17 >>>>
18 >>>>
19 >>>>>Sad Jack wrote:
20 >>>>>
21 >>>>>
22 >>>>>
23 >>>>>
24 >>>>>>Whenever I try and boot from the install CD (the same one used to
25 >>>>>>install on my desktop, the current universal 2005) installation hangs
26 >>>>>>after 'ok installing the kernel'. Nothing seems to happen, no disk
27 >>>>>>access (CD or Hard drive).
28 >>>>>>
29 >>>>>>I've tried other distros..Suse, Ubuntu, Puppy, the only one that gets
30 >>>>>>me
31 >>>>>>passed the above is Slackware 10.1 which goes through the complete
32 >>>>>>install but cannot write lilo to boot. Just says it can't write and
33 >>>>>>says
34 >>>>>>to do it manually.
35 >>>>>
36 >>>>>
37 >>>>>Is there some kind of boot or virus protection switched on in your BIOS?
38 >>>>>Perhaps something that prevents the boot loader from being
39 >>>>>overwritten? Although that doesn't explain the detection weirdness.
40 >>>>>
41 >>>>>Only thing I can think of, aside from some funky unsupported hardware.
42 >>>>>
43 >>>>>
44 >>>>>
45 >>>>>
46 >>>>>>I get the feeling that its at the hardware detection stage that is the
47 >>>>>>problem as live CD's when booted in failsafe load and work OK. I can't
48 >>>>>>find a failsafe option to boot Gentoo, is there one?
49 >>>>>
50 >>>>>
51 >>>>>Hmm interesting. Maybe if you could boot Slackware 10.1 or boot the
52 >>>>>livecd's in failsafe and save your dmesg output it might provide some
53 >>>>>more insight (maybe).
54 >>>>>
55 >>>>>
56 >>>>
57 >>>>Thanks for the replies.
58 >>>>
59 >>>>some interesting suggestions there especially about the bios. Can't
60 >>>>check it just now as I'm mid way through installing Fedora Core 3 which
61 >>>>at least is installing the packages same as Slacware 10.1. Not got to
62 >>>>the stage where grub is written yet, so heres fingers crossed that at
63 >>>>least I will get some form of linux on this thing.
64 >>>>
65 >>>>I'll check out the bios as soon as it reboots
66 >>>>
67 >>>>Cheers
68 >>>
69 >>>OK
70 >>>
71 >>>FC 3 is loaded and running. Grub was installed and works fine.
72 >>>
73 >>>FC3 has not detected the graphics or the screen correctly and at the
74 >>>moment I am stuck with 800x600 resolution or lower.
75 >>>
76 >>>I would suggest at this stage its a hardware detection problem with the
77 >>>other distro and that FC3 is a little more accomodating!
78 >>>
79 >>>Its not my preferred install and I'll keep looking for a way to get
80 >>>gentoo so if there are any more suggestions, please keep them coming!
81 >>>
82 >>>By the way there is no settings in the bios that cause a problem with
83 >>>writing the bootloader.
84 >>>
85 >>>Thanks again
86 >>>--
87 >>>gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list
88 >>>
89 >>>
94 > Thanks Josh
95 >
96 > I've been away for a few days so things have not changed much! I'll give
97 > your suggestion a go.
100 A big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to try and help me
101 with this install. Still no luck however!
102
103 Everytime the installation starts to look for hardware it hangs just
104 after Ok installing the kernel. Josh I tried your suggestion but managed
105 to get myself in knotts and crashed and burned. Never mind. I'm still
106 learning.
107
108 I was wondering, is there a way to pass a command to the install process
109 to tell it not to detect hardware? I feel sure this is the issue. As I
110 have to dual boot with XP for work reasons and wish to use gentoo for
111 personal ones, I don't need all the tricked out kit to run under gentoo.
112 Some simple apps under kde is all i need. I can always take my time
113 with the other stuff.
114
115 Fedora is ok but.....
119 gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list