From: "Lars.Dickes" <Lars.Dickes@×××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] UMTS
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:07:28
Am Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:19:42 +0200
schrieb Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>:
> I'd like to use an UMTS adapter on my laptop. I could use USB, > Firewire (mini) or ExpressCard. > > All HowTo's that I could find were rather old and referred to > PCMCIA. Now I'd like to know: > > a) Which adapter would you suggest?
I use the HUAWEI E220 HSDPA USB Modem, and it works really smooth.
> b) What is the current best practice to make them work?
Found a Howto for this modem on several sites. I use pppd for dialup with a custom script to log the data-volume. Here is the link to the Howto i used: The only differences i found are that Gentoo pppd don't know the replacedefaultroute argument; just delete it; and SUBSYSTEM=="usb" has to be BUS=="usb"... just did it as he told an everything just worked fine Regards, Lars --- () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail /\ - against proprietary attachments