From: jake@×××××××××××××××.net
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Install problems
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 08:17:23
1 Quoting Ryan Viljoen <ravilj@×××××.com>:
2
3 > If you can spare some space than I think the best way to do this would
4 > be to install Gentoo from your existing Fedora install as Josh
5 > suggested. Than use lshw, lspci and lsusb to manually configure your
6 > own kernel to your hardware requirements without having to worry about
7 > auto detection.
8 >
9 > An interesting point though, when install gentoo on my friends
10 > notebook we had a similar problem of the install CD hanging and not
11 > getting passed a point (during hardware detection) not matter how long
12 > we left it. Luckily I had the 2004.1, 2004.3 and 2005.0 install cd's.
13 > The 2004.1 install CD worked perfectly getting through all the
14 > hardware detection. Once installed an emerge sync and a change in
15 > profile and his install was sorted. So I dont know if you tried
16 > different versions of the gentoo install cd but if not maybe track
17 > down an older on? (2004.1 possibly).
21 This is a good point - the live CD does some fairly complicated things dueing
22 boot. It has a pretty massiv initrd image that it loads to do module loading
23 and stuff, and the latest one simply might not be compatible with your
24 hardware. Submit a bug for it, and then try an older liveCD.
25
27 This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.
30 gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list