From: Thomas Kirchner <lists@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] Re: $500 and under recent bargain laptops that work well under gentoo (under linux)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 18:48:05
1 * On Aug 9 13:25, nick thompson (gentoo-laptop@l.g.o) wrote:
2 > Also, turion64 w/ and nvidia are two things I am VERY hopeful to get.
3 > Info in these areas appreciated. (well, ALL INFO appreciated.)
4
5 I bought a Dell Inspiron 6000 in January for Gentoo, and I've been very
6 happy with it. It's a tad outdated now because it's not a Core Duo, but
7 it works pretty well.
8
9 My only disappointment is that it's got an ATI video card, which has only
10 been trouble. I definitely think you're right about going with nvidia.
11 I'm personally not so impressed with the "64-bit revolution" yet, but I
12 can understand that as well.
13
14 Anyway - I got the i6000 for $1100 with almost every option Dell had, and
15 it was a great deal. If you buy one from them, make sure you Google
16 "inspiron coupon" or something similar - you can just snag a coupon code
17 from one of those sites and save hundreds of dollars instantly.
18
19 I would advise against the $500-700 Dell specials as they really cut
20 corners to get the low price. (They cut corners on a lot of their
21 machines, but if you do some research I think you'll be very happy.)
22
23 Tom
24 --
25 gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list