From: Cliff Rowley <cliffrowley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] Gentoo + T40?
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 10:11:22
Greetings fellow Gentoo users :)

I wonder if anyone could be of assistance.  I am desperately trying to
get Gentoo playing nicely with my IBM ThinkPad T40, but I am having a
/serious/ problem that could easily render my laptop inoperable if I
continue to use it.

Basically my CPU fan doesn't appear to be spinning up correctly under
Gentoo (but works as expected under WinXP - dual boot setup), and I
caught my CPU at 68 degrees yesterday!  Fortunately I noticed before it
was too late, and used the Pentium M speedstep feature to reduce my CPU
to 500Mhz, dropping the temperature back down to a comfortable 44 degrees.

I really don't know what to do.  I've tried every approach I've
encountered, but nothing seems to be able to keep my CPU temperature
down without knocking 2/3 off my CPU speed (which is obviously not desired).

Is there anyone with any words of wisdom on this topic?

Many thanks in advance :)

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.