From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o>
Cc: Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@××××××××××.org>, gentoo-licenses@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-licenses] New license group FSF-NONFREE?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 07:09:06
1 >>>>> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
2
3 > On 21/04/15 22:05, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
4 >> Open source, as defined by the OSI is software the complies with
5 >> the OSD[1], which is fairly close to the DFSG (Debian Free
6 >> Software Guidelines).
7 >>
8 >> You might be mixing terms; "Open Source" as defined by the FSF is
9 >> software which may be open, but you are not able to express your
10 >> four freedoms over.
11
12 > I don't understand what you are trying to say. I am saying that FREE
13 > SOFTWARE should refer to Free Software as in the FSF definition of
14 > Free Software, and that OSI-APPROVED (which is Open Source Software)
15 > thus does not belong in that licence group in the first place.
16
17 Are we talking about the same thing? Paul was referring to the
18 Open Source Definition [1] which guarantees the same Four Freedoms
19 as the Free Software Definition. Even the FSF acknowledges that
20 the differences are rather small in practice [2], in spite of the
21 different goals of both movements.
22
23 Ulrich
26 [1] http://opensource.org/osd