From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-licenses@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-licenses] New license group FSF-NONFREE?
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 19:11:06
1 >>>>> On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
2
3 > On 21/04/15 20:20, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4
5 >> There are several licenses in @OSI-APPROVED that the FSF explicitly
6 >> lists as nonfree, namely Artistic, NOSA, and Watcom-1.0.
7 >>
8 >> I wonder if we should introduce an FSF-NONFREE group which would
9 >> contain either all licenses from [1], or only the conflicting ones.
10 >> Then users could set their ACCEPT_LICENSES variable to e.g. "-*
11 >> @FREE -@FSF-NONFREE" in order to avoid software released under such
12 >> licenses.
13
14 > wat.
15
16 > 1. I don't understand the usecase. Why not just do "-* @FSF-APPROVED
17 > @FREE-DOCUMENTS" if you care explicitly about FSF-approval -- or "-*
18 > @FSF-APPROVED @OSI-APPROVED @FREE-DOCUMENTS"
19
20 Because this doesn't work. Without accepting everything in the
21 FSF-APPROVED, OSI-APPROVED, and MISC-FREE groups (i.e. @FREE-SOFTWARE)
22 you cannot install even the system set.
23
24 > 2. I think this is a needless layer of clunkyness.
25
26 > 3. I think the name is very weird.
27
28 > 4. I think making a group based on this criteria is really weird in
29 > the first place.
30
31 > - -1 from me.
32
33 Currently we are ignoring the issue of conflicting FSF and OSI
34 decisions, which I believe is not a good solution.
35
36 A possible alternative would be that we reassess these licenses
37 ourselves and modify the FREE-SOFTWARE group accordingly. For example
38 (assuming that we would reject all three conflicting licenses):
39 FREE-SOFTWARE @FSF-APPROVED @OSI-APPROVED @MISC-FREE -Artistic -NOSA -Watcom-1.0
40
41 Thinking that we can do such license assessment better than the FSF
42 and the OSI with their lawyers might be overconfident, though.
43
44 Ulrich