From: Thomas Kahle <tom111@×××.de>
To: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Cc: sci-mathematics@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-lisp] [pxrist@gmail.com: Re: State of gnu common lisp]
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 18:26:56
1 Hi *,
2
3 I had a short email conversation with pchrist@g.o regarding
4 sci-mathematics/axiom, which I bumped to the latest version in the
5 science overlay. The ebuild is suboptimal, but here is my original
6 message, any comments appreciated:
7
8 ----snip----
9
10 over at the science overlay we are trying to revive
11 sci-mathematics/axiom which heavily relies on gnu common lisp (and no
12 other dialect). In fact, the current ebuild will ship an internal
13 version of what axiom upstream calls gcl-2.6.8_pre4.
14
15 Do you have any specific plans of reviving gcl? What are the
16 difficulties that you are facing?
17
18 One problem that I found myself is that gcl (at least the version that
19 comes with axiom) seems to depend on <=dev-libs/gmp-4, so I emailed Camm
20 Maguire (who seems to be gcl upstream). He was surprised to learn about
21 the release of gmp-5, which was not on his radar because appearently it
22 is not in Debian Unstable yet.
23
24 Ok, so this is about it. I would love to see an unmasked gcl at some
25 point. Let me know if I can help. I'm currently being recruited as a
26 developer.
27
28 ----- snap-----
29