From: Thomas Kahle <tom111@×××.de>
To: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Cc: sci-mathematics@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-lisp] [pxrist@gmail.com: Re: State of gnu common lisp]
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 18:26:56
Hi *,

I had a short email conversation with pchrist@g.o regarding
sci-mathematics/axiom, which I bumped to the latest version in the
science overlay.  The ebuild is suboptimal, but here is my original
message, any comments appreciated:

----snip----

over at the science overlay we are trying to revive
sci-mathematics/axiom which heavily relies on gnu common lisp (and no
other dialect).  In fact, the current ebuild will ship an internal
version of what axiom upstream calls gcl-2.6.8_pre4.

Do you have any specific plans of reviving gcl? What are the
difficulties that you are facing?

One problem that I found myself is that gcl (at least the version that
comes with axiom) seems to depend on <=dev-libs/gmp-4, so I emailed Camm
Maguire (who seems to be gcl upstream).  He was surprised to learn about
the release of gmp-5, which was not on his radar because appearently it
is not in Debian Unstable yet.

Ok, so this is about it.  I would love to see an unmasked gcl at some
point.  Let me know if I can help.  I'm currently being recruited as a
developer.

Comments? Ideas?

Cheers,
Thomas