From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-lisp] [pxrist@gmail.com: Re: State of gnu common lisp]
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 08:31:08
1 Hi,
2
3 Thomas Kahle <tom111@×××.de>:
4
5 > On 10:04 Sat 16 Oct , Andrey G. Grozin wrote:
6 > > On Fri, 15 Oct 2010, Thomas Kahle wrote:
7 > > > over at the science overlay we are trying to revive
8 > > > sci-mathematics/axiom which heavily relies on gnu common lisp
9 > > > (and no other dialect). In fact, the current ebuild will ship an
10 > > > internal version of what axiom upstream calls gcl-2.6.8_pre4.
11 > > Why not just use fricas? It's in the main tree, and can be compiled
12 > > by sbcl, cmucl, clozurecl, clisp, ecl (and probably gcl).
13 >
14 > Well, I did not know about it. The other fork "OpenAxiom" is already
15 > in the science overlay. On the other hand, I also don't use axiom.
16 > I'm just trying to work on bugs assigned to sci-math@g.o. In the end,
17 > dropping support for the original axiom, given that there is fricas,
18 > is one option to close these bugs.
19
20 And last rite axiom, with two alternatives available.
21
22 > > > I would love to see an unmasked gcl at some point.
23 > > Me too. Debian ships usable gcl for lots of architectures. I think
24 > > we can just return to the old practice: take the 2.6.7 tarball +
25 > > the (huge!) debian patch number <n>, and ship the result as
26 > > 2.6.8_pre<n>.
27 >
28 > Sounds good to me, and I think that is the setup axiom developers ship
29 > because Camm Maguire is both: gcl upstream, and gcl's maintainer in
30 > Debian. He also provides the gcl versions for axiom.
31
32 That sounds like totally selfish and retarded. Why not prepare a
33 proper release to ease burden for all the packagers of other
34 distributions out there.
35
36 V-Li
39 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
40 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
41
42 <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>