From: grozin@g.o
To: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-lisp] common lisps overlay -> tree; maxima, fricas
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:58:11
1 On Mon, 22 Apr 2013, Stelian Ionescu wrote:
2 > That command upgrades the metadata format to the most recent because
3 > upstream uses a very old version of subversion.
4 I am sorry. You are right.
5
6 Why do we need a modern format of the stuff inside .svn directories? To my
7 knowledge, some information from .svn is used to produce the greating line
8
9 Welcome to Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.9-r15769M (LinuxX8664)!
10
11 Does this fail with the very old format? Is the information from .svn used
12 for something else?
13
14 Another question. asdf and uiop are used together; installed from the same
15 tarball; cannot be installed separately (asdf PDEPENDs on uiop, uiop
16 RDEPENDs on asdf). What's the advantage of having two separate packages?
17 Why not install both subsets of files from the asdf ebuild?
18
19 About testing asdf. test/run-tests.sh works fine inside the source tree.
20 Not all files are installed by the asdf and uiop ebuilds; they are
21 installed into different places. Simple-minded attempts to tune
22 *asdf-directory*, *uiop-directory*, *build-directory* etc. in
23 script-support.lisp fail because directory structures are too dissimilar
24 (contrib/debug.lisp is a simlink to ../uiop/contrib/debug.lisp, etc.). So,
25 I cannot test the installed stuff using run-tests.sh (inside the asdf
26 source tree, all tests succeed for sbcl, cmucl, clisp, ccl, ecl).
27
28 Some observations:
29 1. In sbcl and cmucl, asdf is already loaded (the system init files, I
30 suppose)
31 2. In ccl, ecl I can load it by (require :asdf)
32 3. In all these 4 cases (require :uiop) works
33 4. In clisp (require "asdf") fails (this is the form suggested by the asdf
34 documentation).
35
36 By the way, I've just added the doc USE flag to the asdf ebuild.
37
38 What do common-lisp users expect to have? I mean, are all necessary asdf
39 and uiop files installed? Are they installed into the most natural
40 locations?
41
42 It seems to me that the stuff pmasked "for testing" is not being tested at
43 all. The only way is to unmask it; there are many ~arch users who will
44 report bugs. So, let's say we plan to unmask all this stuff, say, on May
45 1. If anybody will report problems before this date, excellent! If not -
46 the users will have to find these problems the hard way.
47
48 Andrey