From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: Stelian Ionescu <sionescu@×××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-lisp] Last Rites: dev-lisp/gcl-cvs
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:51:59
1 Stelian Ionescu wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 07:33:52AM -0700, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
3 >> Is GCL (upstream) really in trouble? I know SBCL is the most actively
4 >> maintained open source Common Lisp these days, but quite a few
5 >> projects have some GCL dependencies. The Axiom project (and its
6 >> forks) seem to be moving to Clisp, but their base build is still
7 >> GCL-based.
8 >
9 > the Axiom project, well knowing GCL's problems, maintains its own GCL
10 > fork which is included in the tarballs it provides. I don't know about
11 > the other Axiom forks, since neither OpenAxiom nor FreeCAS are in
12 > portage
13 > that leaves maxima: infact the only reason why maxima still hangs to GCL
14 > is because they have no alternative to GCL on Windows, but that's not a
15 > problem for us
16 >
17 Yeah ... I just posted my knowledge dump of Axiom and forks ...
18
19 The whole Axiom fork situation was/is rather tense -- a lot of
20 ego-bashing/flaming on the mailing lists, etc. And then there's the
21 whole Aldor licensing issue. NAG released it with a *non-commercial*
22 clause in its license, which makes it incompatible with lots of other
23 open source/free as in freedom licenses.
24
25 Axiom is, as far as I'm concerned, a "better" CAS than Maxima for a
26 variety of reasons. But when there are three forks and the leads of each
27 trash each other on mailing lists, I don't see how it can *stay* better
28 than Maxima. I've said as much on the mailing lists. Ah well ... that's
29 what makes open source fun, right? :)
30 --
31 gentoo-lisp@g.o mailing list