From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Marijn <hkBst@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-lisp] lisp project status
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 10:25:13
1 >>>>> On Thu, 07 Apr 2011, Marijn wrote:
2
3 > Perhaps now is also a good time to do a roll-call/status update of
4 > what people are working on in the various subprojects (CL, scheme,
5 > (x)emacs), who is active or not, whether any recruits are being
6 > trained, anything else that you care to mention.
7
8 > (emacs) fauli, ulm
9
10 Emacs team is more or less in maintenance mode. We think that our
11 eclasses serve their purpose well, and the tree is in reasonable
12 shape.
13
14 Upstream, there is a trend that the more important packages are being
15 absorbed by Emacs proper. So we may have to remove some packages from
16 the app-emacs category, or add conditionals to deactivate them for
17 newer Emacs versions.
18
19 GNU Emacs 23 was released almost two years ago. Some of the main new
20 features in Emacs 24 will be support for bi-directional text and for
21 lexical binding. Both have been merged to the trunk, so hopefully
22 we'll see the release of Emacs 24 in less than a year from now (it
23 took 10 months from 22.3 to 23.1, so by extrapolation 24.1 would be
24 released in January 2012 ;-) ).
25
26 For the micro-emacsen, one notable development is that Zile will move
27 from C to Lua. We'll have to see what are the implications for us,
28 because app-editors/zile is on the Gentoo minimal install CD.
29
30 Ulrich