From: Cyprien Nicolas <gentoo@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Cc: amynka@g.o, pacho@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-lisp] How to make dev & users happy about dev-scheme/guile
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 16:09:10
1 Hello,
2
3 I've took the time to understand what I did 6-8 years ago about guile
4 SLOT support - as guile-3 is coming - and we are still struggled with
5 guile-1.8 for some packages, 2.0 and 2.2 breaks a lot of stuff.
6
7 I won't list the numerous bugs related to guile's versions, but the
8 more important ones are that texmacs still requires guile-1.8 (and
9 lilypond?).
10
11 I thing I now understand how guile evolved from upstream, and my
12 mistake was to believe we can have different slots for 1.8 and 2.0.
13 Both installs /usr/lib64/libguile.so and tweaking that in src_install
14 is hazardous.
15
16 guile-2.2 has clean SLOT support, files are installed in
17 /usr/share/guile/2.2 and /usr/lib64/guile/2.2/ naturally, the
18 pkg-config file is well named.
19
20 So my plan would be to:
21 - leave guile-1.8 and 2.0 in the 12 SLOT as they are currently
22 - slot guile-2.2 (it requires a very small patch to the ebuild)
23 - update DEPEND of packages OK with guile-2.2
24 - identify package that cannot build with guile-2.2
25 - if they all build with guile-1.8, drop guile-2.0
26
27 The only issue I have with SLOT is the /usr/share/aclocal/guile.m4
28 file, and I need a SLOT guru and autoconf guru to sort this
29 out properly.
30
31 CC amynka who pushed the guile ebuild to the tree
32 CC pacho who opened the guile-2.2 breakage tracker
33
34 Thanks for reading
37 Cyprien Nicolas (fulax)
38 (returning) Gentoo Lisp project contib