From: Stelian Ionescu <sionescu@×××××××××××.net>
Subject: [gentoo-lisp] common-lisp.eclass cleanup
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:40:52
hello, I've attached a cleaned up version of common-lisp.eclass. The
purpose of this change is to remove dependency on
dev-lisp/common-lisp-controller and to help reduce code duplication in

I'll try to explain how CL packages work:

1) a CL package installs exactly one directory under
/usr/share/common-lisp/source. This is contained in the variable
$CLPACKAGE and it defaults to $PN. Exception: app-emacs/slime installs a
package named "swank"

2) a CL package contains one or more ASDF files(.asd). The variable
$CLSYSTEMS contains the names of those systems and defaults to $PN
because in the simplest case there is only one .asd
The .asd files usually are contained in the toplevel of the source
directory and get symlinked into /usr/share/common-lisp/systems

3) in order to find the systems, ASDF must be aware of the
/usr/share/common-lisp/systems directory, which must be added to the
list contained in the variable asdf:*central-registry*;
dev-lisp/gentoo-init takes care of setting up everything for the user

4) to load a system, one must start a Lisp and eval
(asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op <system>)

The eclass has three explicit "public" functions:

1) common-lisp-install(): must receive at least one argument. It installs
files or directories(recursively) into /usr/share/common-lisp/source

2) common-lisp-system-symlink(): when called with no arguments, it
installs the systems contained in $CLSYSTEMS. The system names must be
relative paths. Example: CLSYSTEMS="foo1 foo2 src/bar"
When called with some arguments, it installs those systems, ignoring

3) do-debian-credits(): taken from common-lisp-common.eclass, since I've
dropped the inheritance on it

and an exported function, common-lisp_src_install, which is sufficient
for a good share of CL packages in the tree

if there are no objections, I'll commit the eclass next evening - Oct. 13

Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix

common-lisp-2.eclass text/plain