From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <A.G.Grozin@×××××××.su>
To: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-lisp] sbcl: why not bootstrap updates from existing copies?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 05:59:17
1 On Thu, 4 Jan 2018, Akater wrote:
2 > As far as I understand, dev-lisp/sbcl ebuild unconditionally pulls
3 > precompiled binary and then compiles the fresh sbcl with it. Is there a
4 > reason why sbcl is not compiled using the existing previous copy of it?
5 (1) If a user installs sbcl for the first time, there is no previous copy.
6 (2) The previous copy (if exists) can be very old, contain bugs etc. The
7 build process on users' computers will be not reproducible: if some user
8 reports a bug, we don't know which version [s]he used for bootstrapping.
9 If we ask him/her, reproducing the bug still becomes more difficult: first
10 rebuild the urer's previous version (by the way, using which
11 previous-to-previous version?) and only then try to reproduce the user's
12 immediate problem.
13
14 Andrey