From: Panagiotis Christopoulos <pchrist@g.o>
To: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Cc: treecleaner@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-lisp] First(1) attempt to clean-up the main tree from obsolete lisp packages (mainly dev-lisp/cl-*)
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:42:51
1 Hello fellow lispers,
2
3 I'm sending this mail to inform you about my wishfulness to start
4 procedures to clean up the main tree from many obsolete/problematic
5 packages[1] in order to provide some sort of easiness, working with
6 packages of the "lisp" herd.
7
8 The Lisp Team is extremely understaffed these days. Our leader
9 (hkBst) has been away for long, me, I'm also not very much around cause of real
10 life problems and our new member chiiph has his own problems and noone
11 to motivate him to work for gentoo. But there is hope, as soon as
12 Stelian(fe[nl]ix) is here and new people(like Nicolas(Fulax) and
13 Dmitry(dzhus)) step up and help.
14
15 I would like to move the packages of that list[1] to a temporary
16 overlay(eg. using
17 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/lisp.git;a=summary ,
18 gentoo's infra provided for us) after a month of being masked for
19 removal. My plan is as follows:
20 1) Discussing the matter in gentoo-lisp ml
21 2) if you don't have any serious considerations, sending mail to
22 gentoo-dev about removing these packages ("Last Rites" etc.)and masking
23 them in profiles
24 3) After a month period, removing them from the main tree and moving them
25 to the temporary overlay
26 4) Fixing/bumping/porting our lisp implementations
27 5) Fixing/removing old lisp eclasses and porting the new ones
28 6) Check the status of our official overlay
29 (http://repo.or.cz/w/gentoo-lisp-overlay.git)
30 7) Fix our Web page
31 8) Discuss what we're going to do with the old "Common lisp controller"
32 technology
33 9) Start porting/moving packages from the official overlay to the main
34 tree
35
36 Before anyone starts to complain about the whole thing, please have
37 in mind that the bug queue of obsolete/problematic packages is huge and our
38 team gets many complaints from gentoo's QA team. Also, it's difficult
39 for any of us to prioritize his work/contributions when he has to deal
40 with so many bugs/old packages.
41
42 [1]
43 http://dev.gentoo.org/~pchrist/work/misc/treecleaning/official/final_list_10Aug10.txt
44
45 ps1: the list is also attached to this mail
46 ps2: I've cc'd the Treecleaners alias for informative purposes
49 Panagiotis Christopoulos ( pchrist )
50 ( Gentoo Lisp Project )

final_list_10Aug10.txt text/plain