From: Hardave Riar <hardave@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] on asus wl500g
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:39:32
Jason Pepas wrote:
> I guess this is the part I don't understand. As far as I understand it, > a page of memory exists either in physical RAM, or on a swap device, and > the only entity who can tell the difference is the kernel. Please > understand that it's not that I am not listening, it's that I don't > understand how what you are saying can be true. The interesting thing > for me at this point would be to find out how a process can fail if it > is given swap instead of RAM.
The kernel can only swap out pages that are not active. So on your box if a single running process requires more than 32MB of active memory it will fail since the kernel can not give it that much, even if you have 3Tb of swap space. Where this seems to bite alot of people on mips is doing the actual compile of glibc, where certain parts of it fail if you have less than 128MB because a single gcc process requires that much. Hardave -- gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-mips] on asus wl500g Jason Pepas <cell@×××××××××××.edu>