From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-mips@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, mips@g.o, multilib@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] On MIPS using the same CHOST for all multilib ABIs
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 18:21:23
1 On Sunday 29 December 2013 10:33:54 Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 21:12:53 -0500 Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > you cannot assume CHOST uniqueness.
4 >
5 > why ? I was under the impression that a CHOST entirely defines an ABI
6
7 that has never been the case. a CHOST defines a unique toolchain, not a unique
8 ABI. a toolchain may support more than one ABI (and frequently does).
9
10 we've run into issues in the past where people install a toolchain via
11 crossdev that uses the same tuple as the non-default ABI one (e.g. people on
12 an amd64 system do `crossdev i686-pc-linux-gnu`) and then the multilib code
13 gets confused. but it's been much more of a hassle to try and get configure
14 scripts to use compile tests rather than probe the CHOST, so we've just lived
15 with this lesser evil.
16
17 > > > (1) here is not really a killer feature but I'd rather avoid
18 > > > changing this at this point. (2) is actually a killer feature,
19 > > > since the eclass sets CHOST properly and thanks to that
20 > > > AC_CHECK_TOOL and friends can find multilib *-config progs and
21 > > > stuff without any special hackery.
22 > >
23 > > *-config progs are dead. use pkg-config.
24 >
25 > ok; but shouldnt we kill that tc-getPKG_CONFIG() which returns
26 > $CHOST-pkg-config then ?
27
28 i didn't mean specifically use `pkg-config`. packages should be using .pc files
29 instead of *-config scripts.
30
31 you're right that pkg-config is natively unaware of ABI, but the multilib
32 eclasses workaround that by setting PKG_CONFIG vars to the right place.
33 -mike