From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] PANIC: Unexpected exception at boot o2 R5000
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 02:32:31
1 Andrew Finley wrote:
2 > Thanks Steve,
3 > Ok, should this kernel go in the volume header then use arcboot? If I
4 > wanted to build a proper kernel, can I still use the kernel that comes from
5 > emerge-source (if so what build options should be used)?
6 > -andy
9 Arcboot loads from the volume header, but it doesn't boot kernels out of
10 a volume header at all. Rather, it boots them from an ext2/ext3
11 partition. So, you would put arcboot in the volume header, and then the
12 kernel on and ext3 or ext3 partition, set up the config file, and then
13 just do "boot -f arcboot" from the prom to get going. If you happened
14 to do something silly like make your entire filesystem reiserfs or xfs,
15 then you are out of luck with respect to arcboot.
16
17 As for building your own ip32 kernel, you have to use 2.6 sources, which
18 you will have to unmask yourself. You can run "make ip32_defconfig"
19 inside the source tree, which will give you a base config to work from.
20 You can then enter menuconfig and tweak to your liking. Or, you could
21 get my config from /proc/config.gz when/if you are able to boot my
22 kernel, and then tweak that. In any case, you can't use the native
23 system compiler, since the kernel must be 64-bit. You will either have
24 to emerge gcc-mips64 (after making sure you are using the proper
25 cascaded profile), or build a mips64 cross-compiler on another machine.
26
27 Steve
30 gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list