From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] PANIC: Unexpected exception at boot o2 R5000
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 02:32:31
Andrew Finley wrote:
> Thanks Steve, > Ok, should this kernel go in the volume header then use arcboot? If I > wanted to build a proper kernel, can I still use the kernel that comes from > emerge-source (if so what build options should be used)? > -andy >
Arcboot loads from the volume header, but it doesn't boot kernels out of a volume header at all. Rather, it boots them from an ext2/ext3 partition. So, you would put arcboot in the volume header, and then the kernel on and ext3 or ext3 partition, set up the config file, and then just do "boot -f arcboot" from the prom to get going. If you happened to do something silly like make your entire filesystem reiserfs or xfs, then you are out of luck with respect to arcboot. As for building your own ip32 kernel, you have to use 2.6 sources, which you will have to unmask yourself. You can run "make ip32_defconfig" inside the source tree, which will give you a base config to work from. You can then enter menuconfig and tweak to your liking. Or, you could get my config from /proc/config.gz when/if you are able to boot my kernel, and then tweak that. In any case, you can't use the native system compiler, since the kernel must be 64-bit. You will either have to emerge gcc-mips64 (after making sure you are using the proper cascaded profile), or build a mips64 cross-compiler on another machine. Steve -- gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list