From: Andrew Finley <afinley@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mips] please disregard previous question
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:11:12
1 On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 20:32, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > Andrew Finley wrote:
3 > > Thanks Steve,
4 > > Ok, should this kernel go in the volume header then use arcboot? If I
5 > > wanted to build a proper kernel, can I still use the kernel that comes from
6 > > emerge-source (if so what build options should be used)?
7 > > -andy
10 > Arcboot loads from the volume header, but it doesn't boot kernels out of
11 > a volume header at all. Rather, it boots them from an ext2/ext3
12 > partition. So, you would put arcboot in the volume header, and then the
13 > kernel on and ext3 or ext3 partition, set up the config file, and then
14 > just do "boot -f arcboot" from the prom to get going. If you happened
15 > to do something silly like make your entire filesystem reiserfs or xfs,
16 > then you are out of luck with respect to arcboot.
17 >
18 > As for building your own ip32 kernel, you have to use 2.6 sources, which
19 > you will have to unmask yourself. You can run "make ip32_defconfig"
20 > inside the source tree, which will give you a base config to work from.
21 > You can then enter menuconfig and tweak to your liking. Or, you could
22 > get my config from /proc/config.gz when/if you are able to boot my
23 > kernel, and then tweak that. In any case, you can't use the native
24 > system compiler, since the kernel must be 64-bit. You will either have
25 > to emerge gcc-mips64 (after making sure you are using the proper
26 > cascaded profile), or build a mips64 cross-compiler on another machine.
27 >
28 > Steve
29 >
30 > --