From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Cc: basile@××××××××××××××.edu
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Re: On MIPS using the same CHOST for all multilib ABIs
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 22:04:45
1 Dnia 2013-12-29, o godz. 16:52:05
2 "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 12/29/2013 04:48 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
5 > > Yes all 3 ABIs use the same tuple.
6 >
7 > I think people are missing Mike's point from earlier, which is that
8 > tuples label toolchains and a toolchain can support multiple abis. So
9 > for example, what would one do on a system which simultaneously has o32,
10 > n32 and n64? -gnuabi32n32n64 looks pretty crazy.
11
12 I'd say that we shouldn't limit the concept of 'toolchain' to
13 specifically GNU binutils + GNU gcc. Configure scripts can require much
14 more tools (like assemblers, *-config tools including pkg-config)
15 and I doubt we should really assume they all have some magic support
16 for ABI switching we had taken care of.
17
18 That said, it would be actually more reasonable to have three separate
19 triples for those ABIs, and link them to the same application if it
20 supports all three ABIs. Of course, we would need to ensure that
21 the application actually respects the triple via which it was called.
22
23 I think that would be cleaner than explicitly overriding compiler
24 options, and things such as PKG_CONFIG_PATH. But I guess many people
25 will disagree.
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny