From: "J. Scott Kasten" <jscottkasten@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mips] JFS on non-intel [ Was O2 Sound and Misc Stuff]
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 18:56:49
1 I'm interested in your data point. Do you happen to remember about which
2 kernel that was? There was some general badness that affected multiple
3 file systems in late 2.6.13 on into 2.6.14 or so in the way that you
4 describe. Not sure they ever really knew what the smoking gun was.
5
6 Used JFS for about 6 months with the gentoo mips 2.6.13 kernel and did
7 not find any issues. Briefly with Sparc32, but don't remember
8 which kernel. On Intel, I've done extensive regressions with it.
9
10 If anyone is interested, I have a thrasher script written specifically for
11 this purpose. It's a multi-threaded ruby script that creates a randomized
12 directory tree, with random files, containing random data. A CRC check is
13 kept on each file. The threads run in parallel rewriting data in the
14 middle of files, truncating, resizing, creating voids, forcing the file
15 system into writing multiple extents, exercising tail packing, unlinking
16 files with open handles, etc...
17
18 -S-
19