From: "J. Scott Kasten" <jscottkasten@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mips] JFS on non-intel [ Was O2 Sound and Misc Stuff]
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 18:56:49
I'm interested in your data point.  Do you happen to remember about which
kernel that was?  There was some general badness that affected multiple
file systems in late 2.6.13 on into 2.6.14 or so in the way that you
describe.  Not sure they ever really knew what the smoking gun was.

Used JFS for about 6 months with the gentoo mips 2.6.13 kernel and did
not find any issues.  Briefly with Sparc32, but don't remember
which kernel.  On Intel, I've done extensive regressions with it.

If anyone is interested, I have a thrasher script written specifically for
this purpose.  It's a multi-threaded ruby script that creates a randomized
directory tree, with random files, containing random data.  A CRC check is
kept on each file.  The threads run in parallel rewriting data in the
middle of files, truncating, resizing, creating voids, forcing the file
system into writing multiple extents, exercising tail packing, unlinking
files with open handles, etc...

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Alex Deucher wrote:

> On 2/9/07, J. Scott Kasten <jscottkasten@×××××.com> wrote:
> Be careful. I tried to use JFS on some sparc boxes, and ran into some > subtle bugs that no one seemed to be able to solve that led to > filesystem corruption: things like disappearing/reappearing files and > directories. On the other hand I've had no problems with JFS on AMD64 > or x86. > > Alex >
-- gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-mips] JFS on non-intel [ Was O2 Sound and Misc Stuff] Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@×××××.com>