From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] SGI O2 kernel binary that will work w/ Matt Turner's stages?
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 21:15:46
On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Jim Faulkner <jfaulkne@×××××××.edu> wrote:
> I'm trying to get gentoo going on an SGI O2.  I've booted into the > Gentoo/MIPS livecd and installed Matt Turner's stage3-mips4_multilib > stage onto my hard disk.  I can chroot into it and run some commands, > but "ls" gives an "unknown error," and emerge doesn't work, presumably > because the kernel on the livecd is too old. > > I setup as much as I could from the livecd, hoping to install Debian's > IP32 kernel from the livecd, since arcload is available there.  However, > Debian's IP32 kernels are 64-bit ELF.  When I try to boot it with > sashARC, it tells me that it is not 32-bit and refuses to load it.  When > I try to boot it with sash64, it tells me "relocation failed." > > Does anybody have a kernel and modules for an SGI O2 that works with > Matt's stages?  If so, would you be able to put it where I can download > it? :) > > On a related note, how does Debian get arcload to boot its 64-bit kernel > on an IP32 machine?
Hi Jim! Right, the problem with `ls` is an incompatibility between old kernels (older than 2.6.36) and new glibc built against newer kernel headers. I've built an O2-compatible kernel (version 3.1.0-r2~) and put it here: I haven't tested it, so if you run into trouble, please let me know and I'll make some changes. I'm very glad to see someone trying to use my stages. Please note that before you rebuild gcc, you should patch /usr/portage/eclass/toolchain.eclass with the attached patch in this bug report: I'm not sure, but perhaps the problem about sashARCS/sash64 is fixed by using the vmlinux.32 I posted? You can probably get help faster in the #gentoo-mips IRC channel on Freenode as well. I'd be happy to help. Thanks, and let me know how it goes, Matt