From: Matt Turner <mattst88@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mips] Re: What kind of MIPS hardware do we have? (Looking to restart Gentoo/MIPS, need info)
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 04:03:03
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@×××××.com> wrote:
> Hi, > I'm going to be working on Gentoo/MIPS. I'm planning to provide N32 > stages, and I want to know what kind of MIPS hardware people have to > run Gentoo. With this info, I should be able to better prioritize the > tasks. > > So please reply with what kind of hardware you've got. > > Thanks! > Matt
Thanks everybody for your responses. A bit of background: MIPS has 3 ABIs: o32, n32, n64. o32 is the common denominator, but is pretty inefficient. See [1]. As I suspected, all the hardware people care about can use the n32 ABI, which is quite a bit better. To summarize the hardware collection - 5 MIPS III/Loongson little-endian STMicroelectronics systems (Lemote, Gdium) - 11 MIPS IV big-endian SGI systems - 3 MIPS IV little-endian Cobalt systems - 2 MIPS64 selectable-endian Broadcom systems I've got a working n32 big-endian installation, and am preparing an n32 little-endian installation at the moment. Once these are set up, I'll start preparing some n32 stages. I think first priority should be mips4 big-endian. From there, I don't know whether I should build a mips4-le stage for cobalt systems, or a mips3-le stage that would work for cobalt and Loongson. Do we know of any plain MIPS III little-endian hardware? Also, the MIPS port is going to be pretty unmaintainable until we can kill off ~mips from ACCEPT_KEYWORDS. Currently, attempting to upgrade almost anything causes something to break. What do you guys think? Thanks, Matt [1]