From: Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] is gentoo-mips right for me?
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 12:38:54
1 Kumba wrote:
2 > Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
3 >> Stephen P. Becker wrote:
4 >
5 >>> That and I don't think qemu is particularly fast.
6 >>
7 >> Whatever slow it is, it will be faster than trying to compile anything
8 >> natively on these tiny routers :)
9 >
10 > Thou hath not tryeth to compileth glibc upon a RaQ2 of Cobalt, have
11 > thee? :)
12 >
13 > Granted you can jack the RAM in a cobalt to a decent size for it to suck
14 > down behemoths like glibc, assuming you got an emulator to work, the
15 > emulator would likely be slower than a RaQ2, and probably slower than
16 > native compiles. The only upside is being able to feed the emulated
17 > environment more RAM.
20 Last I heard... QEMU was emulating a ~30MHz MIPS machine... on a modern
21 (>2GHz) x86 machine. Your router most likely has a clock speed in the
22 range of 100~200MHz; much faster than QEMU.
23
24 Others, like gxemul (which may be better suited to your needs) suffer
25 similar performance losses.
26
27 >> So, this means, that if I build a whole gentoo-mips under qemu -
28 >> sounds easy, doesn't it? :), with mipsel uclibc stages/-march=mips32,
29 >> almost each and every binary copied from such a system should run on
30 >> these tiny routers?
33 > We generally discourage people who are new to non-x86 from venturing off
34 > into experiments like this initially. The experiment can sometimes be
35 > overwhelming, anf frustration eventually kills off any motivation to
36 > complete it. Our usual suggestion is to get yourself a cheap SGI Box,
37 > like an Indy or an O2, play with it for a few months and learn how MIPS
38 > works, then you'll have an idea of how stuff works in comparison to
39 > their more inefficient x86 cousins. Other archs, like Sparc, work well
40 > too as non-x86 playtoys. Then the original task can sometimes be easier
41 > (but not always).
42
43 Better still... get a Cobalt machine if you can.
44
45 The Cobalt machines run a little-endian MIPS4 CPU, which, while they
46 can't run MIPS32 ISA binaries, they are at least the right endianness to
47 be able to build stuff natively for your router. And although they are
48 quite slow (generally 250MHz, and no secondary cache), they'll be a lot
49 faster than most emulators out there.
50
51 This, with a suitable µClibc-based chroot environment, should do quite
52 well for the task.
53
54 I still stand by what Kumba said ... start with something that is
55 officially well-supported (e.g. an SGI box, or a Qube2/RaQ2) to get
56 familiar with MIPS ... then work towards building for the router. :-)
57 --
58 Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter) .'''.
59 Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer '.'` :
61 http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter :.'