From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] multilib problems on mips64 profiles
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 01:29:34
1 On 09/21/2014 21:12, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 09/21/14 21:11, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >>> Correct me if wrong, but it seems the core problem here is that multilib
4 >>> inherits from the o32 base profile. While I think the proper longterm
5 >>> fix is
6 >>> to have more discrete, modular/pluggable profile components (like OOP and
7 >>> multiple base classes), that's not going to happen in Portage for a
8 >>> long time.
9 >>
10 >> Not exactly. The problem is that everything inherits from
11 >> profiles/arch/mips and currently that forces o32 with mgorny's multilib
12 >> stuff. We need to get that out of the way for the other profiles that
13 >> inherit it.
14 >
15 > Oh wait, maybe we mean the same thing here. I'm not sure. When you say the
16 > same base profile, do you mean profile/arch/mips? In that case we are saying
17 > the same thing.
18
19 I actually forgot about arch/mips in the profiles. I'll have to dig around in
20 there later on. I assumed we (the MIPS team) managed everything MIPS in the
21 tree, since -embedded used to compartmentalize everything under their embedded
22 profiles.
23
24 The modular profiles bit is a longterm item. I don't know if this mixins thing
25 will correct our issues or not. If not, I may just have to dive into Portage
26 and write my own profile-parsing code and try my modular idea out to see if
27 that really does solve nay problems.
30 Joshua Kinard
31 Gentoo/MIPS
32 kumba@g.o
33 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
34
35 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our
36 lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
37
38 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic