From: Manuel Lauss <mano@×××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] MIPS32 Little-Endian softfloat packages, anyone interested?
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 06:40:11
Hi Joshua,

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 08:36:16PM -0400, Kumba wrote:
> Manuel Lauss wrote: >> Hello! >> For the last 3 years I've been "maintaining" a modest collection of >> packages for generic little-endian MIPS32 softfloat systems (mainly for my >> Alchemy hardware). It includes a lot of stuff which is currently >> use-masked >> on MIPS (qt4, scanner support, etc; almost all run-tested on real >> hardware). >> Is there interest in the Gentoo(-MIPS) community for these packages? >> A list of packages can be found at [1] as well as the custom portage >> profile >> which was used to build them at [2]. >> The package tarball is ~1.1GB in size; 90% of the packages have been built >> with >> gcc-4.3.3. Mainly generic stuff I needed to do my work plus a few >> just-for-fun things like KDE-4.2.2 (yes it runs, but at a glacial pace). >> Thanks! >> Manuel Lauss >> [1] >> >> [2] > > This is pretty neat. Although, our focus is more on the bigger MIPS > workstation, like the SGI stuff and even some of the Longsoon machines. We > actually have a separate team that focuses more on the embedded machines, > including embedded ARM, MIPS, and other related equipment.
Although Alchemys are lacking a FPU and a decent GFX accelerator, I think performance-wise they're not that slower than SGI boxes.
> I'd post this to the gentoo-embedded list, and you might find a few people > over there interested. Some of the methods you used for building these > packages, including any toolchain changes, eclass/ebuild changes, might be > useful to them over there.
I actually didn't change any ebuilds, it's as "vanilla" as the Gentoo installations on my x64 machines (all packages have been built natively). I'll contact the embedded folks! Thanks! Manuel Lauss