From: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@××××.org>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] is gentoo-mips right for me?
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 16:29:10
1 Stephen P. Becker schrieb:
2 > Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
3 >
4 >> I was wondering if gentoo-mips is a right distribution/tool for me.
5 >>
6 >> Here's the summary what I have and what I want to achieve.
7 >>
8 >> I am interested in porting apps for wrt54 and similar hardware (they
9 >> have Broadcom CPUs). When I connect a 2 GB usb-stick to such a device
10 >> (i.e., to ASUS WL-500g Deluxe or to any other device listed on
11 >> http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware), a small router could turn
12 >> into a really useful, rock-stable (no moving parts like hard-disk, fan
13 >> etc.), cheap, small, quiet, multi-purpose device (domain controller,
14 >> print server, web server etc.).
17 > A good idea...which is already facilitated by openwrt.
18
19 Indeed.
20 That's what I'm using on these routers.
23 >> As compiling software on these devices directly isn't really a good
24 >> idea, at first I thought I'd just cross-compile the software.
25 >> However, very often, cross-compiling is not that easy (sometimes
26 >> involves lots of patching, which in my case turned out to be
27 >> duplicating someone's job).
30 > Duplicating...you mean like the work openwrt has already done?
31
32 Either openwrt or gentoo-mips folks.
33 It seems to me that there is a chance that gentoo-mips will have more
34 apps ported than openwrt (which doesn't really have many applications
35 ported).
38 >> So I searched the web a bit, and came to a conclusion:
39 >>
40 >> I have to run gentoo-mips in qemu on my x86 hardware, compile/port
41 >> apps there, strip the binaries, and move them to these tiny routers.
42 >>
43 >> Is my thinking correct?
46 > Theoretically, our mipsel uclibc stages would let you do that, except
47 > that apparently qemu for mips still has problems with userland programs.
48
49 Have you read qemu 0.8.0 changelog? It was released a couple of days ago.
50
51 - MIPS and MIPSel User Linux emulation
54 > That and I don't think qemu is particularly fast.
55
56 Whatever slow it is, it will be faster than trying to compile anything
57 natively on these tiny routers :)
60 >> Will such compiled software compiled on gentoo-mips run on
61 >> Broadcom-based routers?
64 > If you use the mipsel uclibc stages, and optimize for -march=mips32, sure.
65
66 So, this means, that if I build a whole gentoo-mips under qemu - sounds
67 easy, doesn't it? :), with mipsel uclibc stages/-march=mips32, almost
68 each and every binary copied from such a system should run on these tiny
69 routers?
70
71 I'm quite new to other architectures than x86.
74 >> Or maybe I just should give up this idea, as it's totally wrong from
75 >> the beginning?
78 > This is really the smartest thing you have said thus far. Gentoo is
79 > really not set up to run on these devices. It is far too heavy to
80 > directly run on them (they don't have enough RAM, and typically not
81 > enough disk space), and cross-compiling everything is a pain in the ass.
82 > Folks behind distros like openwrt have already done a lot of hard work
83 > porting apps and making them compile inside of their buildroot environment.
84
85 I never intended to run gentoo on these tiny routers.
86
87 I just thought that compiling/porting software for openwrt/mips on
88 gentoo-mips would be easier than compiling software for mips on a x86
89 system (I'm really not a cross-compiling expert; and not everything is
90 ported to openwrt).
93 >> I could check it myself, but as I failed to run the gentoo-mips livecd
94 >> in quemu, I'd like to know if I'm doing something reasonable before I
95 >> invest some time in running gentoo-mips on qemu.
98 > The gentoo-mips livecd is definitely not what you want. The userland on
99 > the cd and included kernels are only for big endian SGI hardware. It
100 > has no chance of working on anything else. If I recall, qemu emulates a
101 > little endian, MIPS 4kc cpu.
102
103 Now I see why it didn't even start.
107 Tomek
108 http://wpkg.org
109 WPKG - software management with Samba
110 --
111 gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list