From: Andrew Finley <afinley@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mips] arcboot problem R5000 o2
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:30:22
Ok, I tried.

On the R5000 O2:
1) emerged arcboot, then following the man page, I put it in the volume

2) ignored the boot partition I made during the system install, and made
a file called kernel in sda3 (i.e., my root partition see fstab below)

3) I put the kernel that Steve gave me into the kernel file

4) changed the arcboot.conf to reflect my changes (see below).

5) then back to prom I did "boot -f arcboot" - result was an error
something like "can't find kernel looking in \unix"

I tried several variation on this theme but with no luck. What am I
doing wrong?
Thanks again.

# arcboot.conf
# copyright 2002 Guido Guenther <agx@×××××××.org>

#/dev/sda1		/boot		ext2	noauto,noatime	1 1
/dev/sda3		/		ext3	noatime		0 0
/dev/sda2		none		swap	sw		0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0	/mnt/cdrom	iso9660	noauto,ro,user	0 0
none			/proc		proc	defaults	0 0
none			/dev/shm	tmpfs	defaults	0 0

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 15:05, Kumba wrote:
> Andrew Finley wrote: > > Hi Kumba and Steve, > > I started working on your suggestions. But get a package masked error > > when trying to emerge arcboot. What do I need to do? > > -thanks andy > > > > It's advised you give the "Portage Introduction" a quick readover at this URL: > > > (The mips bits of the handbook are very outdated, so don't fully expect other > mips bits there to work, we need a docs dev that can help get things > straightened out). > > It's a little unfair to throw some users new to gentoo right into the > experimental stuff sometimes, but that's the nature of O2 units right now, as > well as some of the other mips hardware. I'll probably stable-mark arcboot in > a few days to clear up some of the confusion, and eventually put one of the > 2.6 mips-sources stable (2.6.9 is unstable now). > > > --Kumba
-- gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-mips] arcboot problem R5000 o2 "Stephen P. Becker" <spbecker@××.edu>