From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, Gentoo/MIPS <gentoo-mips@l.g.o>
Cc: mattst88@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mips] A big thanks to Matt Turner for his hard work on Gentoo/MIPS
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 02:10:23
1 Hey all,
2
3 I just want to take a minute to thank Matt Turner (mattst88) for all his
4 hard work and leadership in keeping Gentoo/MIPS alive within the project.
5
6 It has been a long, tough road for the MIPS port of Gentoo. Our hardware is
7 quirky, extremely diversified, sometimes archaic, and not the easiest in the
8 world to understand. With my time having been limited over the past two or
9 so years, we had regressed a fair bit, and the MIPS port as a whole has
10 largely been leaderless. Thus we became a thorn in the side of many a
11 developer, many of whom I sure asked the question, "Why are we still
12 supporting this oddball architecture?".
13
14 Matt has stepped up to the plate and gotten things fixed up and working
15 again, a task that I honestly felt was becoming more and more of a long-shot
16 with each passing week. We have new stages -- in all ABIs and two (or three
17 now?) ISAs, proper multilib support, our bug count is actually going down,
18 and possibly new install media on the way. None, I repeat, none of this
19 would have been possible without Matt's leadership and drive to make the
20 MIPS port relevant once more.
21
22 So please join me in thanking Matt for his hard work, time, and leadership
23 in making Gentoo/MIPS a viable element of the Gentoo project one again!
24
25 Thanks Matt!
28 Joshua Kinard
29 Gentoo/MIPS
30 kumba@g.o
31 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
32
33 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
34 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
35
36 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic