From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] bootstrap.sh on asus wl500g
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:25:42
1 Jason Pepas wrote:
2 > On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 07:52:18AM -0600, Hardave Riar wrote:
3 >
4 >>That's the wrong profile for uclibc stages, this will try to replace uclibc
5 >>with glibc and that's a bad thing.
8 > That's precisely what I want to accomplish :) I have plenty of swap
9 > available, and no time constraints with this device. If it turns out
10 > 32MB of RAM is too little to run a glibc system, so be it, but I would
11 > like to learn that the hard way. I think I'll learn quite a bit in the
12 > process.
13
14 Ok, so obviously you aren't quite listening to what we are saying.
15 First of all, 256mb is *not* plenty of swap with so little physical
16 RAM...even to build uclibc. Typically, we've found that you can't even
17 build glibc and/or gcc on gentoo/mips with 64mb of RAM, no matter how
18 much swap you give the box. Also, wl500g does *not* have 32mb of RAM,
19 but rather 16mb. I know, because I have one. Furthermore, isn't isn't
20 necessarily the running of glibc, but more the building of glibc that is
21 your issue. The only thing you'll be learning in this process is the
22 fact that you wished you would have listened to us in the first place.
23
24 -Steve
25 --
26 gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list