From: Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] php for mips architecture?
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 06:10:07
1 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Daniel Seichter wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> Does anyone know, how I can emerge php on my qube2?
6 >
7 > You can unmask it using various files in /etc/portage, but then you can
8 > never ask anyone for support. PHP is no longer supported on mips, and
9 > probably never will be, just because there is little need for it.
12 To elaborate... there are a number of issues here.
13
14 ① There are serious QA concerns regarding the current PHP ebuilds.
15 ② PHP runs awfully slow on MIPS machines (even fast ones).
16 ③ We're only a small team, and don't have the time to be constantly
17 testing the huge list of dependencies that PHP hauls in -- which is a
18 rapidly moving target.
19
20 package.keywords is the file you want to use. Many of the packages you
21 install will be missing ~mips or mips keywords. You can either copy the
22 ebuild to an overlay, use a text editor to add the mips keyword to the
23 KEYWORDS line of the ebuild, and run `ebuild foo.ebuild digest`... or,
24 you can use the package.keywords file to accept the "~*" keyword for
25 each dependant package lacking a ~mips keyword.
26
27 A word of warning though. There has been absolutely no testing done on
28 these packages, and thus we take no responsibility for what they may do
29 on a system. While I doubt they'll break anything (except maybe
30 Apache), there's no guarantee that they'll work properly, if at all.
31 You proceed at your own risk.
32 --
33 Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter) .'''.
34 Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer '.'` :
36 http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter :.'
37
38 International Asperger's Year (1906 ~ 2006)
39 http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter/iay