From: Jason Pepas <cell@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] bootstrap.sh on asus wl500g
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:01:30
1 On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 09:48:34AM -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > >I put openwrt
3 > >on it and chrooted into a
4 > >experimental/mips/embedded/stages/stage1-mipsel-uclibc-2005.0.tar.bz2
5 > >tarball, with the idea of changing the profile and rebuiling.
6 >
7 > Ok, stop right here. Do you realize how little memory this device has?
8 > You would be lucky to even be able to build some of the more simple
9 > programs without some sort of ICE or out of memory error.
10
11 I have 256MB of swap enabled - it shouldn't be a problem.
12
13 > That is not even close to the correct profile for uclibc. You really
14 > want /usr/portage/profiles/uclibc/mips
15
16 Well, I want to switch to glibc, but I couldn't get any mips3 or mips4
17 stages running (I think they are the wrong endian-ness). So I thought
18 the correct thing to was grab a stage1 and change the profile.
19
20 Am I going about this the wrong way? I am fairly new to gentoo.
21
22 > Uhhh...you realize you can't install glibc on a uclibc userland, right?
23 > This is from selecting the wrong profile, aside from the fact that
24 > glibc even doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of building on such a
25 > device.
26 >
27 > >any ideas? I see the mips project website was just updated today, and I
28 > >just realized last night that the cobalt images are little endian (the
29 > >asus wl500g is little endian), so I'll try chrooting into one of those
30 > >images next.
31 >
32 > That is an even worse idea. The cobalt stages are optimized for
33 > -march=mips4, which probably won't run on that cpu. Not only that, but
34 > they are glibc based, which is way too heavy to run on a wl500g
35 >
36 > The moral of this story is, a broadcom based router is not good for
37 > using gentoo in the capacity you are trying to. What you *really* want
38 > to do is emerge crossdev on a nice fast box, use that to build a
39 > crosstoolchain, and cross-compile a custom userland to run on your router.
40
41 Hmm, that sounds more like what I want to do. What I really want is a
42 stage1-mips1-2005.1.tar.bz2, but that doesn't exist. Can I use crossdev
43 to accomplish that?
44
45 Thanks,
46 Jason Pepas