From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mirrors] mirror fetch jobs and --checksum
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 07:08:31
1 Hi mirrors,
2
3 Historically, our CVS-to-rsync process was overly enthusiastic about
4 updating timestamps on files, even if they hadn't changed.
5
6 With the new Git-to-rsync process, we've run into a few cases where the
7 mtime is not represented with sufficiently high accuracy to catch all of
8 the changes, and as a result changes are being missed.
9
10 Can you please alter your rsync cronjobs to include --checksum in the
11 commandline? All Portage calls will be including --checksum in future as
12 well.
13
14 A decade ago, we didn't include --checksum in the calls, as the CPU
15 power available was considerably less; however systems have improved
16 tremendously since that time.
17
18 I have updated the official mirroring wiki page, and if it's been a long
19 time since you reviewed your scripts, I encourage you to review it:
20 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/Mirrors/Rsync
23 Robin Hugh Johnson
24 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead, Foundation Trustee
25 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
26 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85