From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mirrors] another distfiles server going dooown
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:59:52
I just got a polite e-mail from my ISP that I am generating too much
traffic. I hoped this moment would never come, but it seems that I have
to fit in 105GB/week. I knew that generating too much traffic is in
violation with their agreement, but they never told me how much "much"
is. Still they are nice enough to ignore the matter if I get back in the
normal limit.

This is a warning that I am stopping to serve distfiles until I figure
out an elegant way of handling the matter. If someone feels like
pointing me in the right direction -- *please do*. I know how to count
my outgoing traffic (using empty rules in iptables) but I am not sure
what exactly to do with those numbers.  I am currently thinking about
slowing down uploads using tc, limiting maximum number of uploads, etc,
but it is too much work to do now, and I have no idea how to do it

I will be away for almost two months (starting next week) so until then
I am stopping serving distfiles on both and If you don't mind, I will keep
syncing with the master mirror, and once I come back I will think of

Apologies to all.

-*   Georgi Georgiev   -* Real wealth can only increase. -- R.         -*
*-    chutz@×××.net    *- Buckminster Fuller                           *-
-*  +81(90)6266-1163   -*                                              -*