From: Jeffrey Forman <jforman@g.o>
To: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mirrors] Gentoo Linux 2004.2 RELEASE
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:45:10
1 Mirror Admins,
2
3 One and all, the time is upon us for the release of Gentoo Linux 2004.2.
4 I plan to begin staging the mirrors tomorrow morning CDT, July 22nd,
5 with the release going public on July 26th. We're going with the same
6 "bit flip" method as done for 2004.1. Files will be transferred only
7 readable by your rsync/httpd/ftpd procceses until the 26th, at which
8 time their world-readable flag will be flipped and the release material
9 will be released to the world.
10
11 At latest we have amd64, x86, sparc, and hppa releasing archs. PPC will
12 be not be released officially for our 2004.2 cycle. This release will be
13 around 7.5GB on your distfiles mirrors, give or take. We do not expect
14 that number to change much at all.
15
16 We will keep you posted about the status of the release as it draws
17 nearer. We have upgraded our infrastructure at Oregon State University
18 thanks to the Open Source Labs. Distfiles mirrors should now be syncing
19 to masterdistfiles.gentoo.org; Rsync mirrors should still sync to
20 rsync1.us.gentoo.org as usual. The same login credentials used for the
21 new distfiles mirror are the same as previous.
22
23 Gentoo Infrastructure and Release Engineering members will be in
24 #gentoo-mirrors on irc.freenode.org from now until the release for any
25 questions or concerns you have.
26
27 I personally would like to thank you all for the hardware and bandwidth.
28 Without the mirrors and your help, our releases would not happen.
29 Thanks!
30
31 For Infrastructure and Release Engineering,
32 Jeffrey
37 Jeffrey Forman
38 Gentoo Infrastructure
39 Gentoo Release Engin.