From: Rob Baxter <burn@××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mirrors] Configuration Request
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:05:56
1 OS: gentoo of course. 2.6 kernel (gentoo-dev-sources)
2 Filesystem: reiserfs. in my experience, ext3 may be the norm, but it is damned slow.
3 I highly recommend vsftpd if you're running an ftp mirror, it's very secure >:]
4 Besides the obvious, it is also extremely fast and can take a beating.
5
6 There are a few handy config files here:
7 http://criticaldamage.com/forum/ - Linux/Config Share
8 the most useful for you would probably be the rsync server run from a ramdrive, which is so much
9 faster than disk it's not funny and the the vsftpd config if you choose to use it.
10
11 If you're looking for anything more specific, let me know off list.
12
13 Rob
16 Brath, Shane wrote:
17 > I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm trying to tune my mirrors server to
18 > perform as fast as possible.
19 >
20 > I'm looking at a new hardware purchase to add more capacity, but it's
21 > difficult to know if the new hardware is enough.
22 > The general config is a HP DL380 2x3.4Ghz processors, 4G ram, Dual Raid
23 > Controllers (SmartArray 6404) with 256M/each, and 2x14 drive HP Drive Arrays
24 > (HP MSA 30 JBOD) with 73G drives at 15Krpm. GigE.
25 >
26 > Are any sites willing to share their "Config" I'm interested in the hardware
27 > setup, as well as the OS/Filesystem/Layout/Raid, type of thing.
28 >
29 > Any help would be great.
30 >
31 > Thanks in advance.