From: Scott Kveton <kveton@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mirrors] Updates to master distfile mirror ...
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:27:05
Hey Everybody,

The Open Source Lab currently provides the master distfiles mirror for
the Gentoo Linux project.  We've recently completed an upgrade to our
network and mirror infrastructure that allow us to split rsync services out
from our general mirror (ftp, http, etc).  This will allow us to avoid
problems with users competing with mirrors in the future.

In talking with the Gentoo infrastructure team it seems like it makes
sense to have folks pointing at an address.  To that end, we
are proposing that folks please point at to
sync with distfiles.  Use the same credentials as before with and

I will be moving the name to the new machine very soon
so most of you will not have to change anything (although you should
point at if you can).  We will be disabling
rsync access to| in the coming days so
if you sync to that address it will FAIL.  We'll leave a dummy rsync up
in place with a modified MOTD to explain to folks what has changed.

Let me know if you have any questions/comments/concerns,

Scott :-)