From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mirrors] New mirror applications are closed until 02-2010
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 21:03:08
1 On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 13:11:07 -0600, Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 > Hello mirror-admins,
4 >
5 > The Gentoo mirror-admin team will officially close applications for new
6 > mirrors starting today. In Feb 2010, we will re-evaluate if we need more
7
8 > mirrors or not.
9 >
10 > We want to give time for new projects. A few of those are:
11 >
12 > - Deploy new mirrorstats.gentoo.org/{,rsync}
13 > - Handle ipv6 mirrors better. New rotations, etc.
14 >
15 > Thanks,
16 > Jeremy
17
18 Well, it is now February already.
19
20 I will go through the backlog of mirror requests and start adding new
21 mirrors again. It is only myself in this effort so please be patient :)
22
23 Some outstanding issues remain:
24 - New deployment of mirrorstats.gentoo.org has been delayed. I will send
25 out an announcement here and on planet.gentoo.org when we get that deployed
26 fully.
27 - "Missing timestamp.chk" issue which was reported on this mailing list. I
28 will try to track that down soon. We have already looked at it and the
29 issue is non-obvious. Time to dig deeper.
30 - IPv6 rotations. Expect more communication soon regarding how to better
31 serve you and our end users.
32
33 On the positive note, I did get a new gentoo-portage rsync mirrors listing
34 available online at: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors-rsync.xml - It
35 has all the mirrors listed, but there is still some formatting changes I
36 want to make. Eventually, we will put this link on the main gentoo.org
37 website too.
38
39 Thanks again for all of your hardware & bandwidth donations!
40 -Jeremy