From: Sebastian Werner <sebastian.werner@×××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mirrors] Configuration Request
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:20:35
* Brath, Shane <shane.brath@××××××××××.com> [041201 17:34]:
> I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm trying to tune my mirrors server to > perform as fast as possible. > > I'm looking at a new hardware purchase to add more capacity, but it's > difficult to know if the new hardware is enough. > The general config is a HP DL380 2x3.4Ghz processors, 4G ram, Dual Raid > Controllers (SmartArray 6404) with 256M/each, and 2x14 drive HP Drive Arrays > (HP MSA 30 JBOD) with 73G drives at 15Krpm. GigE. > > Are any sites willing to share their "Config" I'm interested in the hardware > setup, as well as the OS/Filesystem/Layout/Raid, type of thing.
yap, time for some hardware showoff :P is running at a dual 3ghz xeon setup using 4gb ram. (in fact it IS a HP/Compaq DL380) our diskspace is 4tb on an external transtec ata<->u320scsi array using raid5. this array is running at xfs with some individually tuned parameters. we are using suse 9.1, running a suse-out-of-the-box 2.4.21-243-smp4G but we will soon switch over to a brand new DL380 with dual 3,4ghz with sles9. (we switch, cause the current server will be a dedicated rsync frontend) as you can see at we constantly run under pretty nice load having total traffic of about 29 TB last month. (gentoo was about 4 TB last month). our outbound connection is currently 1gig. we are using apache2 with mpm-worker for http-service, which performed great during the firefox-burn-in (at over 1300 threads with load 30 at ~600mbit avg output). ftp service is currently done by pureftpd, cause we need some features of it, that vsftpd does not provide. thats bad, cause vsftpd is supposed to do a better job than vsftpd. if you need specific setup parameters, feel free to contact me. hope this helps. -- Sebastian Werner -- gentoo-mirrors@g.o mailing list