From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mirrors] Configuration Request
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:03:06
On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 10:55:57AM +0900 or thereabouts, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
> > all 5 servers in the rotation are currently running > > rsync out of ram. i think i can safely say they wouldn't be nearly as > > fast as they are, running off a hard disk. > > Do you have some real numbers? I am not trying to doubt you too much. I > am genuinely curious how big the speedup is and if it is worth the > effort. All I wanted to point in my post is that the speedup is probably > not that great, but I'd really like to see benchmark numbers if someone > went to the trouble of doing it.
I can't give real comparison numbers, but I can say that we did see dramatic improvements when moving from an IDE drive to a ram drive on the servers in the rsync.g.o rotation. It's a bit hazy, but I seem to recall getting killed with much more than 20 or so simultaneous connections on an IDE-based rsync.g.o server and no more than 30-40 with a SCSI-based one. With the ram-based servers, we've never seen a ceiling. Most of our servers are serving up ~30 simultaneous connections and ~6Mbps on average and their loads never spike much beyond .4 or so. Out of the 5 servers we have in the rotation, we could probably make do with 2 of them. The rest are mainly there for spikes during releases and redundancy in case of failure. --kurt