From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-mirrors <gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-mirrors] Distfile mirror layout switch; please enable --hard-links
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 10:17:15
1 Hi,
2
3 TL;DR: we've started switching to the new distfile layout. Mirrors will
4 notice the presence of symlinks corresponding to the dual-layout
5 throughout the transitional period. At some point in the future we will
6 have to switch the direction of symlinks, so please enable --hard-links
7 (-H) in your rsync calls if you haven't already.
10 I am pleased to announce that after initial internal testing, we've
11 successfully deployed the new distfile mirror layout. The new layout
12 splits distfiles into 256 directories, solving the problem of having
13 60000+ files in a single directory. However, the mirrors will really
14 start benefiting from this only once the old layout is gone.
15
16 To reduce the impact on mirrors to the bare minimum, we've chosen to go
17 with a hybrid symlink+hardlink approach. Throughout the majority of
18 transitional period, the compatibility between two layouts will be
19 provided by symlinks. This means the total number of file entries
20 on the mirror will double but the additional bandwidth and disk space
21 use will be limited to the possible minimum.
22
23 All newly downloaded files already use the new layout for regular files,
24 and create symlinks in the old layout. However, existing files are
25 symlinked the other way. Before the old layout is removed, we will have
26 to reverse the direction of those symlinks.
27
28 For the time being, we're just going to let normal distfile rotation
29 (i.e. fetching of new files and removal of old files) take care of
30 reducing the number of links needing transition. Nevertheless, at some
31 point in the future we will have to start converting the remaining
32 files.
33
34 We will be using hardlinks to make it possible for the conversion to
35 occur without refetching everything. Therefore, once again we urge you
36 to enable the --hard-links (-H) option to rsync if you haven't done that
37 already. According to my current plan, we will use a shifting
38 transition window approach to limit the impact both on mirrors
39 and on master mirror.
40
41 If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
44 Best regards,
45 Michał Górny