From: Lei Zhang <zhanglei.april@×××××.com>
To: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
Cc: soc-admins@g.o, gentoo-musl@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-musl] Re: [GSoC] native-clang: daily report 06/29
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 15:40:55
1 2016-06-30 15:48 GMT+08:00 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>:
2 > On 29/06/16 17:52, Lei Zhang wrote:
3 >> Plan for today:
4 >> - investigate clang's poor performance
5 >> - study catalyst and stuff
6 >>
7 >> Progress:
8 >> - I find out that optimization flags are not correctly passed to
9 >> compiler when building the freestanding clang. The cause is a bit
10 >> complicated:
11 >>
12 >> clang has to be built in-tree (i.e. along with LLVM); compiler-rt can
13 >> be built out-of-tree, but it's a little inconvenient so I also built
14 >> it in-tree. This means clang, compiler-rt and LLVM are built
15 >> all-together. compiler-rt's sanitizer has some issue with musl, so I
16 >> disabled building the sanitizer via some option. It turns out this
17 >> option somehow leads cmake to forget passing optimization flags to
18 >> compiler. The solution is simple: build compiler-rt out-of-tree. Or I
19 >> can resolve the issue between compiler-rt's sanitizer and musl, when
20 >> I've got time...
21 >
22 > Sounds a good plan =)
23
24 I just found that compiler-rt is built as part of clang/LLVM in the
25 default ebuilds. Perhaps I should leave it that way: not to create a
26 new package for compiler-rt. That means compiler-rt still needs to be
27 built in-tree, and I'll have to deal with the optimization flag issue.
28
29 I also noticed that gcc's sanitizer doesn't work on the musl based
30 system, so is it forgivable to not support clang's sanitizer either?
31 (clang's sanitizer is implemented in compiler-rt)
34 Lei