From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Social contract and its effect on upstream software choices
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 06:11:20
1 Hi,
2
3 Consider a case where we have a piece of software and its open source. The
4 open source software has various plugins, some of which look useful and we
5 may wish to deploy them for Gentoo. However, we must consider the social
6 contract, hence this discussion.
7
8 Can we use the plugins if:
9 (1) They are closed source (e.g. upstream provides binaries only with a
10 restricted non-free license.)
11 (2) They are free software (e.g. FSF / OSI approved license) but they cost
12 money.
13 (b) A subset, its free software and it costs money but it is free for
14 open source communities to use.
15 (3) They are open source, but not free (e.g. they have some kind of open
16 license but are not FSF / OSI approved.)
17 (4) They are open source (and free), but we have chosen to use the built
18 plugins (rather than building from source) for the sake of time and
19 convenience.
20
21 Which are allowed, and which are not?
22
23 -A