From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Cc: gmn-feedback <gmn-feedback@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Daniel Robbins Controversy Unfairly Reported in GMN -- Real Thread!
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 03:58:51
1 On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 17:40 -0800, Square Bottle wrote:
2 > So in other words, I for one would have preferred a piece that aimed
3 > to describe the issue and quote people from both sides, since clearly
4 > both sides have plenty of proponents.
5
6 I do agree that it does not give the whole story. I also agree that it
7 should have been written as an article in the "Gentoo News" section of
8 the publication, rather than under "Heard in the Community", especially
9 as a Planet summary. Had there also been a forums summary of the forums
10 thread in the forums sub-section, I'm sure you wouldn't be here
11 complaining now.
12
13 Let's talk about a few things.
14
15 - The GWN/GMN is *not* a traditional news outlet and cannot be treated
16 as such. It is a developer-published informal newsletter that attempts
17 to inform the users of what is going on with the developers and to give
18 them news about important changes. It is not meant to be a true
19 journalistic publication.
20 - The GWN has always been the opinion of the editor(s) and author(s) and
21 nothing more. Most editors have tried to make things more neutral, but
22 editor/author opinion is rampant in the GWN.
23 - The "Heard in the Community" section has *always* been simply a
24 summary of postings on various Gentoo discussion fora, from the mailing
25 lists to Planet Gentoo. The article you refer to is nothing more than a
26 summary of Planet Gentoo posts. It *does* include the opinion of
27 everyone *that posted to Planet* and, as a Planet Gentoo summary, is
28 correct.
29 - Anyone can write up a summary of the forums thread and submit it to
30 the next edition, though the news might not be nearly as newsworthy by
31 then. (We might have everything resolved, legally.)
32 - This is Anant's first ever GMN, cut the guy some slack. It takes some
33 time to get used to publishing for a wide array of people like the GWN
34 has had as subscribers.
35
36 Now, I am adding the GMN team to CC here and ask that we kindly take
37 this discussion over there, as it really is something that needs to be
38 brought up with them. When/if you respond, please remove this list from
39 the mail and make sure I'm on CC. As the previous editor of the GWN, I
40 can probably shed some light on things much better than Anant can do.
41 As I said, this *is* his first one.
44 Chris Gianelloni
45 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
46 Games Developer