From: alicef <alicef@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Motion: approve preparation costs for tax filings FY2016-FY2019
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 07:57:34
1 On 6/29/19 2:18 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > Usually I'd just put this on the agenda, but I wanted to ensure wide
3 > visibility. I think I've captured everything critical here, but there is
4 > a non-zero chance that I've gotten details wrong as I've very busy this
5 > week with family medical stuff and my desktop hardware also failed.
6 >
7 > TL;DR:
8 > Motion: The Trustees shall approve funds for the tax filing preparation
9 > costs, as specified by the first item of the RFP's Section 3 [1][3], for
10 > FY2016-FY2019 inclusive (4 periods). The initial sum for those costs is
11 > estimated at $6000USD.
12 >
13 > Motion specifics:
14 > - The quoted cost for tax filing preparation ONLY is $1500USD per fiscal
15 > year prepared.
16 > - A further discount MAY be available later based on follow-up actions
17 > (more years or other services rendered by Corporate Capital Inc. [2])
18 > - The quoted fee by Corporate Capital includes some auditing of the
19 > books to ensure that the financial statements are correct enough to
20 > accurately prepare the tax filings.
21 > - This quote does NOT include any of the following costs, which are
22 > understood and accepted as ADDITIONAL costs that will become fully
23 > known after the preparation service is rendered:
24 > - IRS filing fees
25 > - Taxes owing to the IRS [5]
26 > - IRS late filing penalties [5]
27 > - IRS late payment penalties [5]
28 > - Interest on taxes owing [5]
29 > - Any other payments to State of New Mexico
30 > - FY2019 closes 2019/06/30, and the books still need to be processed &
31 > financial statements assembled.
32 >
33 > Background #1:
34 > The Financials Services RFP [1] was issued by the Foundation in
35 > December, and had multiple false starts and disappointed ends (primarily
36 > in the form of initial interest from CPAs that then stopped responding
37 > to the Foundation). However, the Foundation HAS found a CPA to undertake
38 > at least parts of the project: Corporate Capital Inc. [2].
39 >
40 > The CPA thus far has entered a dialogue with the IRS to verify the state
41 > of our filings to date, and the actions required of the Foundation by
42 > the IRS. This cost the Foundation $350USD thus far (see bug #687898).
43 >
44 > The initial results of that dialogue are:
45 > 1) that the Foundation is both simultaneously a for-profit corporation
46 > to the IRS (due to missing filings), and a not-for-profit to the
47 > Public Regulatory Commission of New Mexico (due to regular filings).
48 > 2) that the Foundation need to file taxes at least starting for fiscal
49 > period FY2016 onwards, due to the income reported by third-parties
50 > for that year.
51 > 3) The matters of the earlier fiscal periods require other planning &
52 > approvals by the Foundation (covered in antarus' pitch in running for
53 > the Foundation again this election). The CPA has outline a range of
54 > options in that regard, but is blocked by completion of the initial
55 > FY2016 onwards filings. This would cover the third section of RFP
56 > Section 3.
57 >
58 > The CPA has also done a cursory review of the Financial Statements [4]
59 > as prepared by Robin H. Johnson (robbat2), and provisionally approved
60 > them as sufficient for preparation of tax filings. Some work is needed
61 > in missing sections, such as baseline estimation of in-kind donations.
62 >
63 > [1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/6f92491f28f15897e8e4fc392ef1b6ec
64 > [2] https://www.corporatecapitalinc.com/
65 > [3] RFP, Section 3: "First and foremost the Foundation wants to get in good
66 > standing with the IRS including paying any back–taxes and penalties
67 > necessary. This will include assistance filing form 990 (or related
68 > forms.)"
69 > [4] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Financial_Reports
70 > [5] Based on the discussion with the CPAs, the Net Income estimates from
71 > the Financial Statements, and some free IRS tax-owning calculators, I
72 > have a more detailed estimate of the sums to pay to the IRS, rounded
73 > here to the nearest $100USD:
74 > FY2016 - $2400USD taxes, $600 in penalties & interest = $3k USD
75 > FY2017 - $1500USD taxes, $500 in penalties & interest = $2k USD
76 > FY2018 - $4000USD taxes, $300 in penalties & interest = $4.3k USD
77 > FY2019 - books not available yet. Filing deadline is 2019/09/15.
78 >
79 > Background #2:
80 > I had some direct inquiries as to the history of contacting the IRS &
81 > results of the earlier CPA searches. I'm deliberately omitting the
82 > personal names of the third parties here, because of privacy concerns.
83 > Much of this is a summary of prior IRC logs/motions.
84 >
85 > 2016/03:
86 > First public CPA RFP-like request.
87 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/message/2ef544c4d3541ed52d980ee71101c29b
88 > There are multiple initial email responses, however none of the email
89 > exchanges are sustained by the other parties.
90 >
91 > 2017/03:
92 > dabbott & robbat2 try to submit change of address & filing extension
93 > request to IRS, no responses ever received.
94 >
95 > 2016/05-2017/08:
96 > Foundation engages a volunteer CPA local & known to dabbott. IRS
97 > declines responses, and the volunteer CPA becomes unavailable later in
98 > the year for health reasons.
99 >
100 > 2016/08-2018/11:
101 > dabbott tries writing a letter to the IRS, and is told to file various Form
102 > 4506 variants.
103 >
104 > 2016/10-2016/11:
105 > dabbott files forms 4506-T: gets rejection notices.
106 >
107 > 2017/07-2017/09:
108 > prometheanfire files form 4506-A, gets a non-answer from the IRS.
109 >
110 > 2017/06-2017/08:
111 > robbat2 engages a local CPA at cost (see bugs with title "Accounting
112 > Services Invoice.*" to pay fees), who aids immensely in the financial
113 > statement preparation, and also has a draft financial statement & Form
114 > 990 for FY2005, as well as a brief dialogue with the IRS. The CPA also
115 > becomes professionally unavailable after 2017/10 for personal & business
116 > reasons. $1000USD total is spent on the CPA's services.
117 >
118 > 2017/06-2018/08:
119 > Large book-keeping project by robbat2, with significant data entry work
120 > by zlg, and some complex accounting questions answered by k_f as well as
121 > the previous CPA only a friendly basis only.
124 I'm for paying all the past tax.
125 I approve this motion.