From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Tax return and accounting discrepancies
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:18:51
1 On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 15:07 -0500, Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > My questions would be this, if these things are not filed, are there
4 > penalties for not filing them?
5
6 Yes, the IRS can impose penalties in many different forms. Usually
7 varies on a case by case basis. But if/when the IRS gets involved, you
8 lose most all control. They tell you how things will be, and that is
9 that. Its very bad, I have some clients going through this, and believe
10 me, the Foundation does not want this.
11
12 > Who gets those penalties, the individual or the organization itself?
13
14 Thats a good question, I know for a fact the organization would. However
15 there could be some personal responsibility as well for officers. Its a
16 NPO so its a bit different than a for profit in that regard. Where
17 principles in a for profit can be held liable for their actions. But
18 that does tend to vary based on the type structure of the for profit
19 entity, C corp, S corp, LLC, partnership, sole proprietor, etc.
20
21 > How much would those be if there is one?
22
23 Not sure, typically its based on income, amount you would have paid in
24 taxes, etc. But a NPO does not file a tax return, for normal purposes.
25 It does so just to show accounting to the govt, prove its not a for
26 profit entity. There would not be any back taxes owed, or compounded
27 penalties, interest, etc for that.
28
29 But it very well could effect 501c3 status, or possible cause Gentoo to
30 lose NPO status entirely. Also New Mexico could act on their own and
31 revoke the charter. There are two entities to comply with, state and
32 federal.
33
34 > I remember Gentoo going through all this a few years back. Is this
35 > happening again? Is it even worse this time?
36
37 Its worse, because that was likely me back then. However this stuff was
38 never accomplished in 08, and only more years have passed since. The
39 mess has only gotten bigger, and more years to go back and report/file
40 on.
41
42 Its really not good all around, and needs to be top priority and the
43 first task the new board works on till accomplished. Then procedures and
44 processes need to be put into place, to ensure this NEVER happens again!
45
46 For anyone who wants to do the leg work and research the matter. I will
47 help out with the following links.
48
49 http://www.irs.gov/charities/
50 http://www.tax.newmexico.gov/Businesses/How-Do-I/Pages/Start-Registera-Non-Profit.aspx