From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] 2021 Trustees election
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 19:24:18
1 I accept.
2
3 Admittedly I don't have much of a platform these days:
4
5 (0) Continue operation of the Foundation; so that means retaining the CPA,
6 helping robbat2 with the books (I should be doing more here admittedly),
7 renewing the Foundations New Mexico Status, and ensuring our taxes are
8 filed and paid when we have tax due (in Fiscal 2020 we took a loss, so
9 owned none.)
10 (1) Voting on any items raised by members (membership requests, funding
11 requests, etc.) I think the big miss this year was the openssl bug that I
12 lost track of and Robin picked up (as always, thanks Robin!)
13 (2) Restructuring our donations (perhaps limiting them to our recurring
14 expenses or diverting them to the OSL or other in-kind sponsors.)
15 (3) Engaging the council more directly in budget decisions where we prepare
16 the books but seek council approval as well as board approval.
17
18 This year we streamlined operations (getting rid of monthly meetings in
19 favor of bugs, doing more work over email, etc.) This has helped me budget
20 time more effectively and try to devote time to items that matter; I felt
21 like the 1 hour monthly meetings were low-value and mostly resulted in
22 discussion that went nowhere. If we are going to admittedly do very little,
23 we might as well not spend 10 extra hours discussing the stuff we are not
24 doing. I feel better about foundation operations in light of the
25 streamlining as it takes less effort to operate the Foundation in this mode
26 and this was one concern I had had in years past in terms of staying on and
27 doing 0 and 1 above. Admittedly these activities keep the scope of the
28 Foundation small but in my estimation this is desired currently.
29
30 Other folks have raised dissolution as a desired outcome, however I'm of
31 the opinion that there is no real consensus on what that would look like
32 practically. I think part of my item 3 is to try to practically drive that
33 (where Gentoo Foundation is the holding company and we liaison with the
34 council to actually raise and dispense money.)
35
36 -A